Iran has launched a multi-pronged ballistic missile attack on U.S. troops stationed in Iraq, according to a statement released by the Department of Defense on January 7.
“At approximately 5:30 p.m. (EST) on January 7, Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against U.S. military and coalition forces in Iraq,” said Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman. “It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting U.S. military and coalition personnel at Al-Assad and Irbil.”
The attack is in response to a U.S. drone attack that resulted in the death of Iranian Maj. Gen. Qasem Soleimani. At the time of this report, no battle damage assessments are available, and no official reports of U.S. or coalition casualties have been made.
President Donald Trump had previously announced that the U.S. military has identified 52 sites in Iran that could be targeted.
“Let this serve as a WARNING that if Iran strikes any Americans, or American assets, we have………targeted 52 Iranian sites (representing the 52 American hostages taken by Iran many years ago), some at a very high level & important to Iran & the Iranian culture, and those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD,” he said. “The USA wants no more threats!”
The President has been briefed on the ballistic missile attack but has not made any public comments on the matter.
UPDATE: At 9:45 PM EST, President Trump tweeted “All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.”