A United States Army loadmaster stands on the rear ramp of a CH-47F Chinook and watches the sunset as it flies over Kabul, Afghanistan. *** Local Caption *** Chief of Joint Operations, Vice Admiral David Johnston, and Warrant Officer Joint Operations Command, Warrant Officer Class 1 Craig Egan, visited Australian Defence Force personnel deployed on Operation HIGHROAD in Kabul, Afghanistan from 8 to 10 September 2017. ADF personnel deployed on Operation HIGHROAD are working as part of the international community to provide long-term support to the Government of Afghanistan. About 270 ADF personnel are deployed in Kabul and Kandahar as part of Operation HIGHROAD, Australia’s contribution to the NATO led Resolute Support mission.
This article was originally published Oct. 12, 2020, on Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty.
By RFE/RL's Radio Azadi
U.S. forces have come to the aid of the Afghan Army in the southern Helmand Province, striking at Taliban fighters who had attacked government security forces in the area in recent days and warning the militants to “immediately stop” their offensive in the area.
Colonel Sonny Leggett, the spokesman for the U.S. military in Afghanistan, tweeted on October 12 that the strikes over the past two days in Helmand did not violate a U.S.-Taliban agreement signed in February.
Afghan government representatives and Taliban negotiators are currently holding intra-Afghan talks in Qatar.
“Over the past two days USFOR-A has conducted several targeted strikes in Helmand to defend ANDSF forces under attack by Taliban fighters, consistent with the U.S.-Taliban agreement. USFOR-A has & will continue to provide support in defense of the ANDSF under attack by the Taliban,” Leggett said on October 12.
“The Taliban need to immediately stop their offensive actions in Helmand Province and reduce their violence around the country. It is not consistent with the U.S.-Taliban agreement and undermines the ongoing Afghan Peace Talks,” Leggett’s tweet said, quoting General Scott Miller, the commander of the U.S. Forces in Afghanistan.
Leggett said that U.S. forces have and will continue to provide support in defense of Afghan national security forces under attack by the Taliban.
The announcement of U.S. strikes comes after a gun battle was reported in and around Lashkar Gah, the capital city of Helmand rovince, on October 12.
Eyewitnesses reported intermittent shooting inside Laskar Gah and residents have fled from the Nad Ali and Nawa districts because of the fighting.
Taliban fighters began coordinated attacks in different parts of the province over the past week, stepping them up over the weekend, said Omer Zwak, spokesman for the provincial governor in Helmand.
“The Taliban have destroyed several bridges over the main highway, so the highway is closed right now and no one can travel,” Zwak said.
The negotiations in Qatar are meant to end Afghanistan’s decades-long long war, following the U.S.-Taliban peace deal signed in February in Doha, Qatar’s capital.
In a surprise move, U.S. President Donald Trump said on October 8 that he wants all U.S. troops to leave Afghanistan by December 25, which would be sooner than he previously proposed and a speedier withdrawal than his national-security adviser outlined in a speech earlier on October 7.
Under the February deal foreign forces will leave Afghanistan by May in exchange for counterterrorism guarantees from the Taliban.
Copyright (c)2020 RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave NW, Ste 400, Washington DC 20036.
RFE/RL's mission is to promote democratic values by providing accurate, uncensored news and open debate in countries where a free press is threatened and disinformation is pervasive. RFE/RL reports the facts, undaunted by pressure.
RFE/RL is registered with the IRS as a private, nonprofit Sec. 501(c)3 corporation, and is funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the United States Agency for Global Media (USAGM) as a private grantee. All major policy determinations governing RFE/RL operations are made by RFE/RL's Board of Directors. RFE/RL's editorial independence is protected by U.S. law.
Biden will award the Medal of Honor to a Vietnam War Army helicopter pilot who risked his life to save a reconnaissance team from almost certain death.
Ever wonder how much Jack Mandaville would f*ck sh*t up if he went back in time? The American Revolution didn't even see him coming.
A nearly 200-year-old West Point time capsule that at first appeared to yield little more than dust contains hidden treasure, the US Military Academy said.
Since the 1920s, a low-tech tabletop replica of an aircraft carrier’s flight deck has been an essential tool in coordinating air operations.
For nearly as long as the Army-Navy football rivalry, the academies’ hoofed mascots have stared each other down from the sidelines. Here are their stories.
Zelenskyy said on his Telegram channel the weapon was produced by Ukraine’s Ministry of Strategic Industries but gave no other details.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement that the launch occurred Wednesday but gave no further details, such as how far the missile flew.